Ecommerce coach or consultant? They´re pretty much the same thing. That´s not the real question.
The real question is: how can one help you grow your store successfully?
Starting an ecommerce business is easy — running a successful ecommerce business is very, very difficult.
For store owners, it can be tough to push forward when your business is not living up to your expectations. Though platforms like Shopify, WooCommerce, and Wix offer great learning resources for businesses. Their information usually does not go much deeper than how to. Which is useless for those who have already established their business.
No matter where you are on your ecommerce journey, from those who are just starting out or those looking to take their shop to the next level, you can always benefit from the help of an expert.
Learning is an active process. An ecommerce business coach can teach you the essential information that you need to know in order to turn your passion project into a profitable one.
What does an ecommerce business coach do?
An ecommerce business coach, or ecommerce consultant, is an expert in the ecommerce field. It is their job to advise you on how to make your business the best it can be.
Many entrepreneurs, especially first-time business owners, begin an online store thinking that just knowing the basics of ecommerce will cut it. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Technology, business trends, and consumer climates are changing every day.
Ecommerce business coaches work closely with you to examine every aspect of your business. They can help you cut through the confusion that is today’s online landscape.
All ecommerce consultants have their strengths and weaknesses. But they can help you and your business with a variety of things, including:
- Marketing strategy: identifying your target audience and the best ways to effectively reach them and make a sale.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Google and other search engines use powerful algorithms to determine where your ecommerce store ranks in comparison to others like it. Without SEO, your website will receive few, if any, hits.
- Branding: Nowadays, consumers care about who they are purchasing a product from just as much as the product they are purchasing. Strong branding tells potential customers what you and your business stand for and why it matters to them.
- Product: Ecommerce stores, no matter the platform you use, want to sell things (obviously) but what you sell and how you sell it makes all the difference.
- Design: The way your ecommerce store is presented to the public ties in with all of the above categories. The benefits of a well designed, aesthetically pleasing storefront cannot be understated.
- Online advertising: Essentially, how to drive paid traffic to your store and scale your business on auto-pilot, profitably and in a sustainable, sytematic way.
Even still, you may be wondering, “Can’t I just Google how to do all this stuff?”
Well, yes, you could. But you would be missing out on so many essential tips and tricks from experts who have been in your shoes and found success.
“Ecommerce business coaches see things with a fresh pair of eyes. Over time, entrepreneurs get so used to the way they do things that they are not able to see their mistakes.”Silvia Myers
Why should you hire an ecommerce business coach for your store?
Learning how to take your ecommerce store from a time-consuming passion project to a lucrative business heavily depends on two things: knowledge and support.
While it’s true that the help resource pages of your chosen ecommerce platform (and, of course, Google) can offer plenty of learning resources on how to improve your business, they lack a personal touch. Ecommerce business coaches are devoted to you and your business — not increasing their own website traffic with gimmicky blogs.
Ecommerce consultants are able to pore over your ecommerce store with a fine-toothed comb. They help identify your business’ strengths and weaknesses, coming up with a plan for the future. Their advice for you will be tailored entirely to your business, rather than broad statements from a blogger on the internet.
Google can’t tell you why your marketing campaign did not appeal to your target demographic. Or tell you exactly the best way to get a better return on your Facebook ad spend. Ecommerce business coaches can.
Additionally, any ecommerce business coach worth their salt has experience running their own online business. Ecommerce consultants have seen firsthand what works and what doesn’t and can share their experiences. And their experiences with other clients — with you in order to learn from their mistakes.
Here are more reasons to consider hiring an ecommerce business coach for your online store:
- Ecommerce business coaches see things with a fresh pair of eyes. Over time, entrepreneurs get so used to the way they do things that they are not able to see their mistakes. Think of it like this: books submitted to multiple editors before they are published. The author gets so comfortable with their work that they miss grammatical errors or plot holes — an editor will not. And neither will an ecommerce consultant.
- Ecommerce business coaches can be honest with you. Unlike your friends, family, or coworkers, ecommerce consultants will not hold back on the constructive criticism just to spare your feelings. You have hired them to help you correct your mistakes, not say, “Great job!” and give you a thumbs up. This also means that they can hold you accountable for the goals you have set for yourself as a small business owner in a way that your personal acquaintances cannot.
- Ecommerce business coaches want you to succeed. Business owners hire them to make their online store a success, so ecommerce consultants will always be your biggest fan. They took you on as a client because they believed in your business and knew you could be successful. Also, can help take you out of your comfort zone to start turning a profit.
The proof is in the pudding: a recent study found that 92% of small business owners that had worked with a mentor or coach said that it had a direct impact on the success of their business. 89% of small business owners who did not have a mentor or coach wish that they had.
“You should be cautious when dealing with ecommerce business coaches who claim that they are jack of all trades and can do it all, because, quite frankly, they usually can’t.”Silvia Myers
When is it time for your business to hire an ecommerce business coach?
Though the profit typically greatly outweighs the initial cost, hiring an ecommerce business coach or consultant can be a difficult decision, especially for small business owners on a tight budget.
Hiring an ecommerce business coach before you launch your online store is optimal because you will have an expert to advise you every step of the way, ensuring that you start your business off on the right foot. That being said, ecommerce consultants are more than helpful for stores that are already established. They can help you overcome any obstacles that have been thrown your way.
Here are some indicators that it is time for you to hire an ecommerce business coach for your store:
- You want to start an online store, but you want to make sure you do not make any early mistakes.
- Your store is not making very many sales, if any at all.
- When you search keywords that relate to your store on Google, your store does not show up until the tenth page of results.
- Plenty of potential customers have visited your online store (traffic) but there is very little interaction and no sales being made.
- You have spent a fair amount of money on Facebook ads, but it has not resulted in any traffic or sales.
- No one is signing up for your company’s newsletters.
- You want to start social media pages for your businesses, but you do not know the best way to interact with your customers.
- Your business does not have a strong brand — you are just sellings products to your customers, rather than selling them on your business.
If you are struggling with any of these issues, you likely have already noticed that Google does not have a definitive answer for you. Fortunately, an ecommerce business coach or consultant can help your online store fill in the gaps and start turning a healthy profit.
What do I need to look for when hiring an ecommerce business coach?
If you have read this far, great news! You are ready to start your search for the perfect ecommerce business coach.
While I would love for each and every one of you to work with me, it is important to note that every ecommerce consultant has their strengths, weaknesses, and areas of expertise. While I may be a perfect fit for some of your stores, others may benefit more from someone else. That’s okay!
Because no ecommerce consultant can truly do it all. You will need to identify exactly what you want out of hiring one so that you can make the right decision.
Here is what you need to consider when shopping for an ecommerce business coach:
1 – Your ecommerce consultant should be suitable for how far along your store is
If you are just starting out in the ecommerce world, you should not jump right into the advanced marketing strategies and SEO topics.
You should look for an ecommerce consultant that will be able to teach you the groundwork and help you learn healthy business habits and that will be able to go as slowly (or as quickly) as you need to, ensuring that you feel confident and comfortable along the way.
On the other hand, if you are an experienced entrepreneur, you will not want to hire someone who only works with newbies — you need someone that can offer specialized strategies that can solve your advanced problems.
2 – Identify what you want to learn from your ecommerce business coach
As I mentioned before, every ecommerce consultant has their strengths and weaknesses. If you want to learn how to search engine optimize your website so that your store can end up on the first page of a potential customer’s search results, you will want to hire someone that specializes in or has extensive knowledge about SEO, not an ecommerce consultant who focuses on social media marketing tactics.
For example, a friend of mine works exclusively with YouTube ad campaigns, while one of my specialties is helping small business owners get better returns on their Facebook ads. You need to find the person that will be the best fit for you and your business!
You should be cautious when dealing with ecommerce business coaches who claim that they are “jack of all trades” and can “do it all”, because, quite frankly, they usually can’t. It would be better to hire multiple ecommerce consultants who specialize in one or two aspects and have proven outcomes than one person that “specializes” in everything only to have mediocre results.
3 – Have extensive conversations with potential ecommerce business coaches
Since the ecommerce industry revolves around the internet, you may never meet your ecommerce consultant in person. Even if you may never be in the same room with one another, you will still be working very closely with this person. Treat it like a job interview, telling them what you expect from them and asking about themselves. Make sure that you think that you will get along (at least on a professional level) and that they are trustworthy.
4 – Talk to the ecommerce consultant’s previous clients
Hiring an ecommerce business coach can be expensive and first impressions can sometimes be deceiving. Reach out to the consultant’s past clients and ask them about their experiences. Were they helpful? Kind? Knowledgeable? Professional? Just like any other job — they will need references.
5 – Last, but not least, consider the price
Like I said earlier, hiring an ecommerce business coach is not a decision to make lightly because it can often be expensive. Every ecommerce consultant will have different pricing, often based on your needs, the time/involvement required, and their experience.
Don’t hire someone that is out of your budget, but don’t hire someone just because they work for less than the competition. The sayings “you get what you pay for” and “if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is” both apply when hiring an ecommerce business coach.
“Google can’t tell you why your marketing campaign did not appeal to your target demographic. Or tell you exactly the best way to get a better return on your Facebook ad spend. Ecommerce business coaches can.”Silvia Myers
Ready to find your perfect ecommerce match?
Hiring an ecommerce consultant for your online store is a big decision that can be time-consuming and expensive, but it is more than worth it. We can help your shop live up to its potential and teach you all the secrets that Google won’t tell you.
If you want to learn more, I’d love to chat! Let´s discuss how to make the most of your ecommerce business.